Because Results Matter

The construction industry is fraught with costly legal traps. Let us guide you around the danger spots, and take your side when trouble arises.

How to help a child after loosing a parent in a wrongful death accident.

On Behalf of | Jul 15, 2014 | Wrongful Death |

Many Texans have experienced that personal request from a family member or friend to be a child’s guardian in the event anything should happen to the parent. Now that the child’s parents have died in a car crash on a Texas Highway line I-35 or I-10, or another Houston or San Antonio road, you may find yourself in that position to care for the child. You would do anything for this child, but what do you do next?

Here are 8 points of information to help you help a child.

As you try to establish stability for the child, yourself, and others in both of your families, it may be important to:

1.            Keep the communication open with the child. Let him know he is safe and loved.

2.            Make sure the child knows he has a home. If the child is moving in with you, do your best to provide a personal and comfortable space to sleep with his own things.

3.            Routine is important. Children work well when they know what to expect. Routine helps.

4.            Inform the child’s school. Please inform teachers and administrators about the accident. It is important for them to know what has happened and that you are the guardian.

5.            Counseling. It is a strong recommendation that the child speak to a professional about what the child is experiencing.

6.            Make sure her legal rights are protected. Talk to the executor of her parents’ estates about wrongful death proceedings. In these situations, an attorney will most likely be needed to establish a legal guardianship and to bring claims against the faulty driver. A recovery from the faulty driver or an insurance company can help provide for the child’s well-being.

Of course, the exact steps that you take will depend on the child’s age, maturity, and the unique circumstances. If you have additional questions, we invite you to call an attorney to talk about the legal components.

   – Article by Richard Weaver, a personal injury attorney based out of Houston, Texas.


FindLaw Network