You may ask: what do I do after I have been hurt in a slip and fall accident? We understand that while you intended your vacation plans to include rest, relaxation, and fun, injuries can happen. Sometimes the slip and fall incidents happen on cruise ships and other times, grocery stores. When a slip and fall interrupts your cruise vacation, your first thought may be to return to the comfort and security of your Texas home. Keep in mind that while life may be easier in at home, there are a few things that you should do first. Taking these steps after a cruise ship vacation accident will help protect your injury claim:
• Get medical care. If you are injured on a cruise ship, get medical care immediately. You may want to wait until you get home to see your primary care physician, but cruise ships have doctors. A cruise ship slip and fall can cause hidden injuries including traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury. A doctor will screen for serious injuries and tell you the warning signs that you should watch for. The same goes for injuries at a grocery story. If you are hurt, go to the hospital. Do not wait days later to see a doctor. If you delay, the insurance company may claim that you were not seriously hurt. Make sure to obtain copies of your medical records to take home with you.
• Take pictures. If your medical condition allows, take pictures of the scene of your slip and fall accident and of your injuries. If you are with someone like a friend or a family member, have him or her take the pictures. A mobile phone picture should be fine.
• Get the names of any witnesses. Write down the name and contact information of people that responded to the incident and more importantly, anyone who was at the scene of the slip and fall accident.
• Ask to file an incident report. If you fell in a hotel, store, restaurant, or on a cruise ship, you should ask to file an accident report. The insurance company will ask for this report when you make your claim. Get a copy of any incident report and a police report if one exists.
When you get home, consider calling a Texas personal injury lawyer who has experience in vacation accident injuries. Remember, a cruise ship owner like Carnival Corp. will have its lawyer. The restaurant, amusement park, hotel or resort will probably hire its own lawyer. Lawyers and insurance companies for the cruise ship or store will most likely not want to pay you what you deserve. And if they do, they will want to limit the amount that you receive. Get good advise on how to proceed.
– Article By Richard Weaver