A wrongful death lawsuit may ensue following an incident on Sunday where a 53-year-old woman died from accidental electrocution. At the time, the woman was visiting her son in Texas City. She was in the company of six other individuals, including her son, when she picked up or touched a table lamp and was electrocuted. The lamp was being used outdoors, but plugged inside the home when the accident occurred. The severity of the accident was likely exacerbated by the fact that the surrounding area was wet and the woman was barefoot.
Faulty electrical wiring is believed to be the cause of this tragedy. Officials report that the electrical system in the house was not up to code and have since disconnected the electrical service to the property. The power is to be restored once the wiring is fixed and compliant with city code standards.
It is not unusual to hear of job-related electrocutions. However, this situation is unique in that the accident occurred while the victim was a guest in a home. We are deeply saddened by the news of this woman’s untimely passing. We will keep her loved ones in our prayers.
Injuries occurring in another’s home, yard, shed, store, etc all encompassed by premises liability. Severe injuries can lead to wrongful death. The owner or occupier is responsible for maintaining a safe environment and therefore is typically responsible for any injuries occurring thereto. However, in all fairness, other parties should be investigated. The home could be a rental, in which case the property owner and/or the contractor could be responsible for the subpar electrical work.
Many questions may arise after having been injured in another’s property. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer is available to answer your questions at 713-572-4900.
– Article By Richard Weaver